Sunday, December 13, 2009

Serendipity

One day, while perusing the internet searching for a public domain map of Russia circa 1900 that I could use in this blog, I came across something different – an entire organization dedicated to the study of this war. Were it not for my grandfather, I would never have heard of this war (it certainly wasn’t in any of my history books), and even he said that few people knew about the battles (which was just as well for Russia’s reputation).

Just out of curiosity, I’m going to see if the history they’ve gathered lines up with my grandfather’s first-person accounts. I’ll also be interested in finding out about some of those individuals, such as Prince Mikhailoff, whom I haven’t found written about.

In the meantime, I'd like to welcome members of the Russo-Japanese War Research Society. I hope you will peruse this blog and contribute content. I have a few questions I’d like to ask, but also may be able to provide some answers from my grandfather’s record of the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment