Monday, March 22, 2010

By Any Other Name




It's the small things that take the longest. And here I thought that the writing and editing was the hard part! But there are loads of small things that need to be done prior to publishing a book independently. One of these, on which I've already spent too much time, is coming up with a Fictitious Business Name. I approached it a couple of ways:

I thought about what I wanted the name to imply, so I wrote down some roots, like qual-, cred-, acu-, savv-, meri-, acco- and many, many more. The good ones are already taken (not in my county, so in theory I could use the name, but I didn't want to use the same name as another, existing publisher, even if that business doesn't sell outside of North Dakota, for example).

When the root words didn't get me far, I looked for synonyms (I won't bore you with the list), with results similar to the effort, above.

Then I tried to think of my favorite words; actually, I do have a favorite word, though I can't remember what it is and won't remember I hear it, again, which may or may not be before I have to register a DBA.

Finally, I pulled some words out of the air, or certain words came to me out of the air. "What do you think of Kumquat Press?" I asked my husband as we were driving home from a movie.

As we were stopped at a traffic light at the time, he pointed out the window and said, "Why don't you call it 'Crosswalk Publishing,' or 'Yield Press?') I guess he doesn't find the process or the outcome quite as interesting or important as it is to me but, actually, I like the sound of 'Crosswalk Press,' and it cleared both locally and nationally (while Kumquat Press had already been taken).

I can't say that 'Crosswalk' brings up any positive images except, possibly, being careful, but at least it doesn't have negative implications, as I realized with some of my other names I had considered, like "Soledad Press," named for a local landmark (but there is also a prison named 'Soledad. . . ') I like the name 'Cedar Haven Press,' and it, too, clears locally and nationally, but for some reason it makes me think of old age homes.

So 'Crosswalk' it is.

MAKE SURE TO CHECK BACK HERE TOMORROW MORNING TO SEE THE COVER DESIGN CHOICES. PLEASE VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE

No comments:

Post a Comment