Sunday, February 13, 2011

Setting Up Speaking Opportunities

This week (Wednesday), I'll be speaking at the Princeton Library, which has always had a stellar line-up of speakers, good enough to make me wish (except on really cold days) that I lived a lot closer to it.

I'm still preparing my speech, and need to figure out where to add my new audio/visual portion of the presentation -- it's the animation from my website (if you haven't checked this out, please do so; it's very cool) -- and need to get the names of everyone to thank for inviting me and setting this up.

At the same time, it's a little intimidating. While I love speaking about the book, it's still hard to get up in front of a room full or people, even knowing that they wish you well, but it's something I'll get used to.

I'm currently putting together a list of other organizations to contact (I just got onto the tail end of the speaking tour in South Florida at the Jewish retirement communities, which are hungry to hear about and read interesting new books. Apparently I'm to expect an audience of about 150 people in Boca Raton next week). I guess I'll be spending a lot of time there next winter -- no great hardship! (and will get to see more of my son, as well as my brother and sister-in-law and their family, and my sister-in-law and her husband and family.

I need to start direct marketing to conservative synagogues that arrange for speakers, Jewish book stores, retirement communities, and so on, and would be delighted to receive suggestions of other categories or groups to contact, as well as specific, individual suggestions. I look forward to hearing from anyone with recommendations or referrals.

Meanwhile,I hope you saw the review of The Accidental Anarchist on Blogcritics.com. It was picked up by The Huffington Post and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (online), as well as a number of other publications that surprised me, such as a technology website (WhattheTech.org) and one in Romania. All I can say is Thank you to everyone who has tweeted out the review, or emailed it to friends, or sent personal recommendations to others to read the book, for helping me get the word out.

No comments:

Post a Comment